Want to become a soccer referee?? If you are interested in becoming a certified referee for the upcoming season please check the courses listed at www.massref.net. All certifications are issued with the completion of these courses. Westwood Youth Soccer has no authority over certifying a referee. If you see an open course that works for your personal schedule, sign up!
Here are some traits that help make a good referee:
1) Confidence to take action when it will be noticed.
2) Ability to think fast.
3) Interest in learning the rules well.
Refereeing is not for everyone but is a good experience for those who want to work at it.
Current and prospective referees can direct questions to our Referee Coordinator, Bruce Masi-Phelps. To be included in our scheduling data base all newly certified referees should send an e-mail to the Referee Coordinator, who can be reached at:
New referees need to buy:
- Yellow Referee Shirt
- Black Referee Shorts
- Black Referee Socks with 3 white stripes
- Whistle ( Metal preferred )
These can be purchased at wegotsoccer.com or other stores online. Purchase early because stores sell out close to the start of the season.
Westwood Youth Soccer provides a flag, red/yellow cards, and a spare whistle for new refs. MassRef Age Requirements:
Current referees will need to take an annual re-certification course after the 2012 Fall season to get their 2013 badge. ( A few recertification courses are offered in the summer for the 2013 badge.) All referees must be certified with a current year badge.
- Beginning referees age 12-15 take the Grade 9 course.
- Beginning referees age 16 or older take the Grade 8 course.
- Referees looking to advance from Grade 9 to Grade 8 using the Bridge Course should check MassRef.net for detailed requirements.