It is highly recommended for all coaches in WYS to take the
coach training license courses offered by Mass Youth Soccer (MYSA).
There is no
cost to our coaches to take the G, F, or E level courses, as WYS reimburses the
fee or directly pays for these courses.
The G course (4 hours) is the first level of Coach licensing
offered by MYSA and must be taken prior to moving on to more advanced courses
in the series including the “F” (8 hours) and the “E” (16 hours).
We STRONGLY ENCOURAGE new coaches take the introductory “G”
course, especially Kindergarten coaches. We do NOT recommend the online version
of the G course.
Westwood usually hosts a G course at
the beginning of each fall season and sometimes hosts F and E courses. Here is
the link to the MYSA education page where you can find the current course
If a course is in Westwood, registration and payment is
through WYS. You must register on your own for courses outside of Westwood and
then submit your course completion certificate to the WYS Treasurer for
The content covered by the G course is:
- Coaching organization and theory
- How to become a resourceful and
creative "Activity Leader".
- How to shape your kids' soccer
- Ideas and suggestions about organizing
practices and game days
- Practical activities and stimulating
games for practices
- Teaching and correcting dribbling,
passing, and shooting techniques
- Ideas on parent education and learning
- Characteristics of U6 and U8 players
and age appropriate coaching methodology
The content covered by the F course is:
- Discussions of the many characteristics
of the U10 and U12 player.
- Technically and tactically age appropriate
activities for U10 and U12 players
- Information on how to design and
implement an effective training session
- More thorough demonstration of basic
technique in dribbling, passing, receiving, tackling, heading, and shooting
- Elementary goalkeeping techniques
- Basic tactical ideas in reference to
the principles of play
- Discussions on the differences in
coaching each gender, motivation and team building, injury prevention and
management, and ethics.
The content covered by the E course is:
- The E License course combines soccer
theory and practice
- Discussions of various systems of play,
laws of the game, and restarts
- Games and exercises for age appropriate
- Tactical ideas, including the tactics
of 2 vs 1 situations